Setup: STT APIs
There are two options for speech to text APIs that you can use with this system.
- One is the IBM Watson STT
- the Other is the open source Gentle STT.
IBM Watson STT Service
- 16 hours a month included in service
- 0.02 cent a minute after that see pricing
- generally pretty accurate (my opinion, judge for yourself)
- supports a number of languages see here including distiction between british and american english
- Need to provide card details for pay as you go fee.
- is in the cloud so no offline support.
Gentle Open Source STT
- Free as in free speech as well as in free beer.
- working locally on your machine. no internet connection needed
- because of that, good for sensitive material.
- Open source github repo and I made a node module to work with the API .
- Not as accurate as IBM one (in my opinion, but decide for yourself).
- Only support english STT.
- At the moment not as fast as IBM one.
GET IBM Bluemix Speech To Text API Keys
Add the API keys to the app at startup
When you first launch the app by double clicking on it a prompt asks for IBM Watson username and password API keys, these are then stored inside the app.
That’s it. the API keys are now stored inside the app with this one time setup. and you can now use the it.
Now you are ready to chose IBM as an option when adding a new transcription. Go back to the user manual to continue.
Gentle STT, Open Source, free and offline
first time setup
Frist time you launch this version of the app it will download the …
1.Download Gentle version 0.9.1 about
2.start the Gentle app
Enable full transcription, this will dowload the language model comonent to be able to work offline.
4.restart the app
5.the Gentle server is now up and running.
Future times, you just need to launch gentle anche check local host is working.
Launching Gentle’s local server
If you already done the initial setup downloading the language model as described above, all you need to do when using gentle is click
open in browser
this will open your default browser with this page, and this means the Gentle server is running locally.
Now you are ready to chose Gentle as an option when adding a new transcription. Go back to the user manual to continue.